Thursday, August 18, 2011

Onward and Upward

Yesterday was my 43rd birthday and it was fantastic! I received flowers from my son and also from a family friend, lots of facebook greetings, and a few nice phone calls. No cake from my sister-in-law (inside joke) and a good healing day overall.

So how are things really going? The challenge I've been facing thus far is getting enough water and protein. I vomit pretty well when I try the plain protein with milk or water and have no idea how athletes can drink it. So that's one thing.

The second is water. It's really important to not get dehydrated, but when you can only "sip sip sip" it's hard to get anything in. For the past two days I've felt like I've done nothing but had food or drink by my mouth. And the water wasn't near enough judging by the bright yellow urine evacuating my body. Last night I decided to try taking slightly larger sips - not a gulp or a guzzle - just a sip that fills my mouth. I was able to get down about 4 oz before bed so that was a big bonus.

Upon waking this morning, I started in on the water and had 8 oz down by breakfast. There's another challenge: remembering to stop drinking 15 minutes before you're supposed to eat your snack or meal. I feel like a clock watcher. I imagine this would be even more of a challenge at work which, thankfully, I'm not at right now.

Back to breakfast. Today I made cream of wheat with a scoop of peanut butter (high in calories I know, but still need to get that protein) and a lime jello. I finished about 1/8 cup of the cream of wheat and about 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter, topped off with 1/8 cup of the jello. I now have to wait 30 minutes and will have to start drinking water again. I also made a melon smoothie with greek yogurt and vanilla protein. It doesn't taste too badly, and I filled my little containers to have one each for morning and afternoon snack.

Speaking of drinking water, I'm finding that warm water is the most gentle on my stomach although other people prefer ice water or room temp. Whatever floats your boat and gets it into your body is all that matters.

"Full" to me is a hard feeling to figure out. So far I'm able to tell only because the little stomach puts out a shot of pain. Works for me, but I'm wondering how others feel about it and what they're experiencing. I made a new friend down there, Jayme from Arizona. I'm looking forward to sharing with her to see what's up.

The scale hasn't changed yet, but I need to stay away from it except for once a week. I heard about these dramatic weight losses, but most of them are larger people than me. One lady went from 430 to 340 in one month, but when you have that much to lose, any change in diet should lead to a good loss. So we'll see what happens with me.

One more thing: eating utensils and plates. I'm really struggling eating slowly enough, especially as I forget while I'm eating. If I have a normal sized spoon, I'll take a big scoop and forget until it's in the little gut and rolling around and causing big pains. So we went out and bought some baby spoons and they're really helping. Just looking at it as I'm eating helps remind me that I need to slow down and pay attention.

Everything in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment