Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I just wrote a friend about everything and I think I'll post it here.


The procedure in Canada is anywhere from $18,000 to $30,000. You can go through the Weight Wise program at the U of A hospital, but you'll be waiting about 2 years for the procedure and then there's no guarantee they'll give you the sleeve.

The procedure I had is called a gastric sleeve or a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I believe there are a few more names for it, but those are the main ones.

What they do is take about 80% of your stomach away, leaving you a new pouch that's about the size of a medium banana. I compare the surgery to me having my gallbladder out. I was up and walking the first night (always good to do that if you can - it helps get the gas out) and walked 3 miles around San Diego on the 3rd day post-op. Some people experience more pain and gas; it's all a matter of pain tolerance and getting yourself up and moving.

I went to Tijuana to have the procedure done. I researched the doctor and hospital up the wazoo, and was comfortable with heading down there. The little hospital is more like a clinic almost, but it operated just like a hospital - nurses all over, doctors and OR theatre. Just the same.

You spend one night in the hospital and then you head to the Recovery House. It's a nice house with room for 10 patients. There is a nurse on staff at all times, and they're no different from our nurses. Check on you lots, deliver pain medication, etc.

The cost of the surgery is $4500. On top of that you have to pay for your flights, two nights in a San Diego hotel (Hampton is where we stayed and it was $120/night), and we stayed one night in the Ticuan in Tijuana (absolutely incredibly beautiful hotel) and it was a special rate of $55 for the night. Darrin came with me and in total we spent under $6000. I was home on the 4th day and all's been fine ever since.

It's a little tough at the beginning with a liquid diet, then full liquids, then soft protein, hard protein and then normal food. I suffered a bit of heartburn, but GasX strips are amazing!!! I love them. Fed them to my roommate after the surgery too. LOL

You can contact one of Dr. Almanza's patient coordinators for more information. I dealt with Louise Louise Johnson <louise_jerusalemhospital@yahoo.com>, but for my plastics (I'm hoping to go down in March of next year) I'm dealing with both her and Melissa <mbracker@hotmail.com> for information. They're both the same, just independent of each other. If you write either, there's no commitment but they'll be able to answer all your questions.

Weight loss: I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm 167. I started at 235 8 1/2 months ago. I've been a slow loser - mainly because I don't exercise. I know I should but I hate it and I know I won't do it forever, so I don't want to do it now then stop and then gain some weight back. Better to just be me and have it come off this way. People with a lot of weight to lose, or those who really dedicate themselves to exercise, will lose A LOT quicker than I have. There's one girl who's dropped 100 lbs in 3 1/2 months. Granted, she was 350 to start, but it's still incredible!

I am on a great website with awesome forums.www.gastricsleeve.com. There's lots of info and feel free to ask any questions - everyone is really helpful.

I hope I've answered any questions you have. Please don't hesitate to ask more. I love to share this information about the most amazing thing (short of marriage and babies) that I've done in my entire life. Wish I'd done it sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment